If You're Reading This, It Means I Couldn't Think of a Good Title

Yesterday there was no preview because a migraine knocked me down, but I'm back and today I have something for you!


So, I've started on the new designs, the ones I'm drawing from scratch rather than digitizing from patterns I've previously drawn, and it's so much harder. I'm glad I started on the older patterns because it meant I didn't have to compose (as much) and I could think about the actual techniques of creating them. The pen tool in Photoshop is not something you just pick up and start wielding competently. The line work I've been doing, and those first symmetricals, really helped me get a handle on some of the finer details of working with it, which means that now I can actually think about the composition.

Still, composing them takes longer and requires more thought and attention. I've been working about 10-12 hours a day for the last two weeks, since I decided to do the coloring book (excepting weekends, which I've so far managed to take off) and most of that is down and dirty 'arting', building them line by line.  It took me a day of work to do a pattern I'd already drawn, and now it's taking me about two to three times as long to do the new patterns.

What this means, in practical posting terms, is that I probably won't have a preview every day from here on out.

Comments

Jeremy Beard said…
Just looking at it makes me think, "This takes a long, long time."
Marion Sipe said…
And they do! I mean Photoshop has speeded up the process, but there's so much going in and making sure the different lines cross in the right way, and that they go over or under in the right places. It's enough to make your eyes cross if you don't take frequent breaks!

Popular Posts