Update and more Cover Art!

So, I've been working on Sings the Distant Heart lately. It's a short (Ha!) story, but there's a lot of detail involved and it's been really fun to work with! It's absolutely speculative fiction, I don't know whether to call it fantasy or science fiction, though! A wonderful friend of mine read it over and offered some great notes. Now I just have to figure out how to pull it all together for the second draft. *ponders* There's a lot involved because the species--and therefore the point of 'view' character--are all sightless. It means that descriptions become an interesting challenge. There is so much that, even if we don't describe it visually, we use sight words to communicate. But this species evolved underground, and there's no need for them to have eyes where there is no light, so they use their senses of hear, smell, and touch to navigate their world. Everything needs to be communicated in those terms, and yet make sense to the reader. So, it's been a blast!

Also, I finished another cover for MuseItUp, S.S. Hampton's Better Than a Rabbit's Foot, and I'm really happy with it! I really enjoying doing cover art. Graphics are a bit meditative for me. There's a set of problems to solve (how to fit this, where that should go, how big that other thing should be), but all you have to do is try things out. If one thing doesn't work, go back and try something else.

The art does remind me, though, that I need to do the next post in the desert series here. It's mostly written, but I just have to read it over and get it posted. Life is chaos, but that can be fun. At least, it's not ever boring. :-D

Comments

Anonymous said…
Honestly it is tough to find a worthy blog worth commenting on these days, the web is truly too flooded. Adore this post, adore your blog. Just thought i would let you know!
Marion Sipe said…
Thank you! It's always nice to hear that someone besides me is in enjoying the blog! :-D

Popular Posts