Favorite Genres

I'd have to say my favorite is urban epic fantasy.

I love cities. Especially ones that have been around for a while, that have that sense of history free-floating in the air. Sometimes it's so thick you feel as if you could breathe it in. I love concrete, and crumbling bricks, and carved stone. And I love fantasy. I love hero/ines, and mythic creatures, and epic deities. Mostly, I love to shove the two things together as often as possible.

But, I also don't think it always has to be in a contemporary setting, or even one based on earth. Which is why urban epic fantasy is my favorite thing to write. I love the idea of the ancient city, a hub of politics, trade, cultures, and plots. It holds a mystery for me and I enjoy writing the characters as they navigate and explore.

I think it brings a modern feel to the story, without it being contemporary and without my having to be bound to one world. And the cultures are mine to puzzle through, just the way I like it. I'd like to explore some other genres, Steampunk for one, and eventually I'd like to do some modern re-tellings of myth and fairy tales. But I think urban epic fantasy will always hold a special place for me.

What about y'all? What your favorite genre/sub-genre, and what about it speaks to you?

Comments

Ryan Sullivan said…
If we're going to go that deep into genre, then I think I'd go with epic fantasy. It's what I read and I think it's what I write.

I like the idea of a grand adventure that can last for hours and gets me caught up in the world.
Marion Sipe said…
I have a love of epic fantasy, too. It's panoramic, and you get to learn so much about the world. That's my favorite thing!

Popular Posts